JULIE BYRD ASHWORTH
ABOUT JULIE BYRD ASHWORTH
Julie is a lifelong Tennessee resident. She was born and raised in Memphis, Tennessee. Julie is in her 29th year of service as a trial attorney in the Juvenile, Circuit, Chancery and Bankruptcy Courts in Tennessee and in North Mississippi. She has successfully defended and argued appeals before the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Tennessee. Julie was licensed to practice law in Tennessee in 1989, in Mississippi in 1990.
At present, Julie practices law in Tennessee in Shelby, Tipton and Fayette Counties for all family law, probate, wills & estates, elder law, and bankruptcy matters, contested and uncontested; in Mississippi, in DeSoto County for family law and bankruptcy cases. Julie offers fixed fee pricing for most routine legal services in the areas of family law and bankruptcy law, and hourly fee retainer agreements for contested cases. Julie handles all family law issues, simple to complex, and has extensive experience in the Circuit, Chancery, Probate, Juvenile, and Bankruptcy Courts in West Tennessee and in the Chancery Court in Mississippi.
Juris Doctorate, The University of Memphis, Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, 1989
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, The University of Memphis, 1986
Wooddale High School, Memphis, TN 1982
Also completed 39 hours of additional graduate study at The University of Memphis in the field of mental health counseling between 1998 and 2002.
Mississippi Bar Association
Memphis Bar Association
Tipton County Bar Association
DeSoto County Bar Association
• Married to John W. “Wes” Ashworth, III, Professional Engineer (Civil) and Registered Land Surveyor. Wes is a 1973 graduate of Messick High School (Memphis, TN) and The University of Memphis (B.S. Engineering 1979).
• Resides in Collierville.
• Mother of three children.
HOBBIES AND ACTIVITIES
• Member of St. Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral; member of Newcomer Greeting and Hospitality Committees; teaches Sunday School.
• Supporter of University of Tennessee athletics. Season ticket holder since 1989 for Tennessee football program.
• Election Officer for the Shelby & Tipton County Election Commissions (1982-2018).
• Treasurer of the Shelby County Democratic Party. Past Treasurer of Democratic Women of Shelby County. Past Chair of Tipton County Democratic Party. Past Eighth Congressional District Chair of the Tennessee Democratic County Chairs Association.
• Activist supporting freedom and rights for members of the LGBTQ community. Active in progressive causes throughout West Tennessee.
Bachelor of Professional Studies, Information Technology,
University of Memphis, 2017
Associate of Applied Science, Computer Technology,
State Technical Institute at Memphis, 1995