JULIE BYRD ASHWORTH
ABOUT JULIE BYRD ASHWORTH
Julie is a lifelong Tennessee resident. She was born and raised in Memphis, Tennessee. She lived in Munford, Tennessee for 24 years raising her children, and currently resides in Collierville. Julie is in her 32nd year of service as a trial attorney in the Juvenile, Circuit, Chancery and Bankruptcy Courts in Tennessee and Mississippi. She has successfully defended and argued appellate matters in the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Tennessee. Julie was licensed to practice law in Tennessee in 1989, in Mississippi in 1990.
At present, Julie practices law in Tennessee in Shelby, Tipton and Fayette Counties for all family law, probate, wills & estate, elder law, and bankruptcy matters, contested and uncontested; in Mississippi, in DeSoto County for family law and bankruptcy cases. Julie offers fixed fee pricing for most routine legal services in the areas of family law and bankruptcy law, and hourly fee retainer agreements for contested cases.
Juris Doctorate, The University of Memphis, Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, 1989
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, The University of Memphis, 1986
Wooddale High School, Memphis, TN 1982
Also completed 39 hours of additional graduate study at The University of Memphis in the field of mental health counseling (1998-2002).
Mississippi Bar Association
Memphis Bar Association
Tipton County Bar Association
DeSoto County Bar Association
• Married to John W. “Wes” Ashworth, III, Professional Engineer (Civil) and Registered Land Surveyor. Wes is a 1973 graduate of Messick High School (Memphis, TN) and The University of Memphis (B.S. Engineering, 1979).
• Resides in Collierville.
• Mother of three children.
HOBBIES AND ACTIVITIES
• St. Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral: Junior Warden, member of Newcomer and Hospitality Committees, Sunday School teacher, parishioner (2012 to present).
• Supporter of University of Tennessee athletics. Season ticket holder since 1989 for Tennessee football program.
• Election Officer for Shelby & Tipton County (TN) Election Commissions (1982-present).
• Shelby County (TN) Democratic Party: Executive Committee member, former Treasurer (2017-present). Former positions: Treasurer of Democratic Women of Shelby County; Chair of Tipton County Democratic Party; Chair, Eighth Congressional District of the Tennessee Democratic County Chairs Association.
• Activist supporting freedom and rights for members of the LGBTQ+ community. Active in progressive causes throughout West Tennessee.
Bachelor of Professional Studies, Information Technology,
University of Memphis, 2017
Associate of Applied Science, Computer Technology,
State Technical Institute at Memphis, 1995